Friday, September 5, 2008

Reflections on the RNC

Okay....I have had a few days to recover from all the noise, commentary, discussion, debate and argument around the Republican National Convention.

I am someone who firmly believes that even though you may not agree with an opinion, it is important to hear the other side. As an American I will defend to the death your ability to express yourself even if that expression makes my blood boil. So even though at times it was difficult to watch the RNC I watched (almost) the whole thing. So here's what I have to say in light of that experience:

I was completely and constantly disturbed by the lack of diversity
This was probably the thing that made the greatest impression on me, and also made the RNC extremely difficult to watch. One of the things that I liked about the DNC (besides the better music and the fact that people could actually clap and stay on beat) was that looking out across the audience was like looking at a slice of America. There were basically equal numbers of men/women (okay I know a few more women...but I digress), a sea of faces of different colors, races and backgrounds reflecting the America I see on a daily basis and know and love. Contrasting that picture to the completely homogeneous RNC was a little jarring. It was almost as if the snapshot of that convention was taken from a page in the late 50s or early 60s. The lack of people of color (only 26-30 of almost 3000 delegates were reported to be black and frankly I never saw more than about 8 people myself), women (only 33% of the delegates) and variation in socioeconomic status of the participants was simply a throwback to another generation. This is disturbing to me because to not have a full complement of "Americans" at the table as you attempt to draft an agenda to move forward denies the movement of not only this country toward a multicultural society but makes whatever platform you develop weaker in light of our increasingly diverse global world. The other things that was disturbing was that the delegates there seemed to be completely comfortable with their homogeneity. That current factor will probably keep me away from the GOP for more than a minute.
"Party of Lincoln" my ass!
Put your money where your mouth is and actual produce a party (and a platform) that reflects this sum total of the diversity of this country and maybe, just maybe I will think about listening to your vision for our nation.

Sarcasm, Superiority and Negativity were the underlying tone
While I understand that conventions are by their very nature pep rallies to energize the base, does that require you to be sarcastic, negative and belittling? I couldn't help but be offended by Sara Palin and her silly smirk as she demeaned community organizing as not a "legitimate" form of work. Sorry, last time I checked every major political reform in this country (women's suffrage, unions and the 8 hr work day, civil rights, and the list goes on and on) all came directly as a result of community organizing. But as I listened to her speech, Rudy's and others what was constant in the tone was simply that the views and experiences of Barack Obama and others in the democratic party are outside of my life, my world view so therefore they MUST be defective. Apparently the GOP didn't get the memo that "different" does not equal deficient. Also the smugness of viewpoints expressed disturbed me. All of the speakers there seemed so convinced that not only were their views right (which I expect)....but that any one who did not hold their exact same view was an idiotic moron who didn't deserve to breathe the air on this planet and of course....crime of all crimes...was somehow UNAMERICAN!

Christianity being exclusively linked to Republicans
This is probably the thing that makes me most angry. Somehow, a decade or so ago...when the democrats stopped discussing religion in the political sphere (which post Jimmy Carter was our own fault)...the Republicans hijacked religion and the religious right to win elections and bring about the "Republican Revolution" of the Regan years, and beyond. The extreme focus on narrow wedge issues that many Christian's have strong feelings about (such as Abortion and Gay rights) have been the engine that has driven the republican machine. Now never mind that as a whole many of the policies that have happened during republican administrations have a decidely un-Christian bent. These policies have increased the divide between the rich and the poor; driven jobs out of this country and overseas, started premptive wars, led to famine, disease and death in our country (have a chat with folks in New Orleans if you don't believe this one). To me this goes against the helping "the least of these" that we are commissioned by the gospel to help. As a Christian, I simply cannot support a party that feels that way. I resent the message seemingly at the undercurrent of the RNC that "good" Christians are ONLY found in the Republican party.

Well those are my thoughts now....stay tuned for more as this race progresses. Buckle your seat belts kids...it is gonna be a wild two months!!!

No comments: