Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blame it on Rio!


Anyone who knows me knows that I am a hard core Chicagoan.

I was the one who looked down my nose at the kids from the north shore and Naperville in college who went around telling people they were from Chicago.  Basically if your zip didn't start 606-- then I had no use for you and would routinely remind you that you were not REALLY from Chicago.

I LOVE my city...warts, shady politics, dysfunction and all. 

I Love it because it is REAL...the same way a beautiful 40 yr old mother of two with no plastic surgery is real.  People are diverse and don't necessarily get along but yet usually accept each other just enough to make things work.  I love that you can essentially visit the whole world without ever leaving the city (shoot I can almost do it without leaving my neighborhood).  I love it that if you grow up here and are brave enough to leave your neighborhood you will probably end up knowing a bit of Spanish and Polish in addition to that particular brand of Chicagoese. 

So naturally despite some reservations I was all for the Chicago 2016 Olympic bid.

Despite the pitfalls in Chicago hosting the Olympics (bribery, contract irregularities, unchecked gentrification, and all the unplesantness that would come from having that many people here for the summer jacking up our already crazy traffic) I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to show not only Chicago on the World stage but to welcome  America back as a full participant in the international community.  In addition the possible benefits (revamping the CTA, development on the southside, and increased liklihood that I could sell my condo) slightly outweighed the risks for me. 

I am glad that the Chicago 2016 comittee made a strong showing introducing Chicago to many people in the international community who consider all the midwest vapid flyover country and are not accustomed to the unique treasurers Chicago has to offer.  That will probably increase interest in tourism here and is good in the long run.  Coupled with the emotional appeal from First Lady Michelle Obama I don't think anyone on that committee should be ashamed . 





Much has been argued about President Obama's involvement and whether or not he should have gone and expended (some would say wasted) his "political capital" on attempting to bring the games to his adopted hometown.  To the haters (and yes in this case they mostly are just that..."haters" trying to score cheap political points) I say as the leader of this country nothing is wrong with him advocating for his country the same way the leaders of Japan, Brazil and Madrid (who were all present supporting their respective bids) advocated for theirs.  The fact he was not successful probably has less to do with his political status or power in the world and more to do with internal IOC politics, the ridiculously stupid USOC and gerneralized anti-American sentiment that will take quite a while to dissipate fully.

So while many want to blame Obama....I am blaming it on Rio...but not in a negative way. 

Rio was always the sentimental favorite.  South America has never hosted an Olympic games...it was their 5th try....and who wouldn't want the opportunity to Samba the night away with the beautiful people on Copacabana Beach.  I always figured it would go to Rio (although I did figure it would be a battle between Chicago and Rio...instead of us getting the boot in the first round). 

So despite my love of all things Chicago...I am proud that Rio de Janiero will the hosting the 2016 Olympics!  If I start dieting now I should be Brazil Beach Body ready by then.

And don't worry about us here in the Windy City...we will be alright...in fact we have already moved on to the next big thing...

the immortal words of our city father Daniel Burnham sum up the spirit of my fair city...and I hope Rio has that same thought as they put on a fabulous Olympic games in 2016. 

"Make no little plans.  They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.  Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency.  Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us.  Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty.  THINK BIG."

No comments: